Sunday, November 15, 2009

Family History of Harvey Coe Hullinger

Dr. Harvey Coe Hullinger

A Sketch of Family History of Harvey Coe Hullinger
Written Approximately 1902
From the Salt Lake Family History Library--Film #207,679
Typed by L. Weber, with minor corrections by D. Hullinger. Original source found HERE

[Page 83] "My grandfather's name was Daniel Hullinger; my grandmother's name was Ann Shockey Hullinger, on my father's side. My grandfather's was Denman Coe, born at Derby, Conn., May 26, 1759, and my grandmother's name was Mary Northrup, born Mar. 2, 1762, Woodbridge, Conn., on my mother's side. Daniel Hullinger, born Lancaster Co., Penn., Mar. 12th 1757."

"My father's name was John Hullinger, son of Daniel and Ann Hullinger. The place of birth, Watertown, Conn., born Jan. 16, 1797. My mother's name was Olive Coe, daughter of Denman and Mary Coe. I was born Dec. 2nd 1824 in Storms Creek, Mad River Township, Champaign Co., state of Ohio."

"At the age of 9 years, my father emigrated from Ohio to LaSalle Co., Illinois, in the year of 1833, arriving in Illinois in September of that year, where he purchased three eightys of land and built a hewed log house in which they both died afterwards. He opened thereon and fenced a small farm. The country was very thinly settled. At that time our nearest neighbor was a Methodist preacher by the name of Royal who lived about two miles distant. Two other neighbors distant lived about 3½, another about 4 miles. There were other settlers four to 10 miles distant."

"The Pawnee Indians were scattered over the entire county here and their Indian-style of living, it being the year after the Black Hawk was closed, 1832. That year, peace was declared with that nation of Indians. In 1835, they all left the country, went to Pottawattamie county, Iowa. The only trouble they gave us was setting the prairie afire and destroyed part of the hay we had made to winter our horses and cattle and sheep on."

"The following winter was pretty severe. We saved our cattle by cutting down [trees] in June. The cattle lived on the buds and smaller limbs, the horses on the bark of the larger ones and a small amount of hay saved that the Indians did not burn the fall before. We passed our first winter. When the spring arrived, we had a poor set of horses and cattle [Page 84] to start spring farming with, but we succeeded in sowing some wheat, planting some corn in fresh broken sod and planting some potatoes. We raised a reasonably good crop for our next years sustenance. That was the year of 1834. We had 6 cows; all had gone dry. We set to milking them, brought them all back to their milk. Not a calf that year. That year the land office was opened up at Galena, Illinois, distance from our home about 300 miles. My father with a few neighbors went to Galena, horse back, the only means of travel at that early day, and paid the government $1.25 cts. per acre, all in silver coin, the only money the land office would take that was in circulation at that time, for our home of 240 acres."

"In the year of 1835, we raised some wheat and other farm produce. In December of that year my father went two miles up on the Fox River, distance about 21 miles from our home. In coming home he had to cross the Illinois River that was frozen over in November preceding. The January thaw had caused the water to flow over the ice, over shoe-top deep. He crossed three times to get the two teams over. Took his death of cold. Came about 4 miles across a prairie to our home. He went to bed; on the 14th day of January 1836 he departed this life. We buried his remains in the Vermillionville Cemetery. He left 4 sons and 4 daughters. The oldest son was going on 15 years and the youngest daughter was born in 1834--she was [coming to] two years old."

"Mother kept the family together until in the fall of 1838, she married a man by the name of Potter who took charge of the property left by my father--got it all in his own name that he could get. He was very cruel to all the children but the two oldest, when on the 3rd day of September 1840, she departed this life and was buried by the side of my father."

"My father and mother were Methodist of the old [faith], strictly adhering to the doctrines as taught by that sect, of that age--clothing must be strictly plain, must not cut a stick of wood on the Sabbath day, prepared Sunday's food Saturday afternoon that they might keep the Sabbath day holy, taught their family to be strictly honest in all things and not to lie or steal or practice dishonesty of any kind. They were strictly upright as far as they knew."

[Page 85] "At mother's death, 8 orphan children was left to shift for themselves in a new and very thinly settled country. One thing, we were a happy set of children under the circumstances, when we got released from Potter's cruel jurisdiction. My mother had one little daughter by him. What became of it I don't know but learned that it lived only 3 or 4 years old. We, the 3 older ones, set about finding homes for the homeless and succeeded remarkably well considering the new county we were left in. We, the 3 older--John D., Martin H., and myself--went to Ottawa, the county of LaSalle Co. to learn trades. The two older ones completed their apprenticeship when I was about 18."

"I heard the first Mormon sermon--that was in August. On Sept. 14, 1842 I was baptized by Elder C.C. Rich in Fox River and confirmed a member in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints same evening by Elder Harvey Green. I was living with Downey Buchanan in Ottawa. When he found out I had joined the church, he commenced with his wife to abuse me. He sent me adrift. I went to my guardian who was appointed after Mother's death, told him what they had done to me. He went to Ottawa with me, had Buchanan release me, as I was bound to him until I was 21 years old. As a boy like I was at that time could only get a horse. In that way I drifted from place to place until winter found me occupying an upper room in the Granville College, learning all I could pay for. The next spring I went back to Ottawa and hired out to Isaac Freadenburgh for 1 year for 75 dollars, board and washing included. After my year had expired--that was in the fall of 1847--I got a chance to go back to Ohio where I was born."

"I, boy like at that age, thought I must have a wife. I took up with a girl by the name of Julian Bloce, and in that year I commenced the study of medicine under Dr. […] and have never stopped until now, 1902. On Nov. 27, 1847, she and I were married. In the span of time that was the 5th day of January 1848, my son Winfield S. was born. In 1849, I purchased a house […] for 250 dollars in Terre Haute. My wife paid 50 dollars thereon from her father's estate."

[Page 86] "I got it paid for by strict economy. I worked at what I could get to do for 2 or 3 years until I got it paid for with help of money from my father's estate. In the fall of 1850, my brother William came after us to go to Illinois and farm father's home farm in 1851, which we did. We raised a good crop of corn; we gathered part of it. In September, we went back to Ohio. On Oct 1st, 1851, we had a little girl born who died Nov. 21, 1851. We buried it in the Nettle Creek Cemetery by the side of its grandfather Bloce. After the death of our babe, my wife's mother and most all of the family set to work to separate us, which they accomplished in Nov. 1851. Turning my little boy away from his mother, [they] sent me word to come and get him at once as they would keep him no longer. I went after him when the snow was one half knee deep. I then received him and his little bundle of clothes. As soon as I found out I was left alone with my little child, I sold all my household and kitchen furniture for supplies for my family for about a year at auction. I deeded my house to Julian's brother. He was to deed it to Julia, as I could not by the laws of Ohio deed it to her myself. I didn't want to leave her without a home as I knew it was not her fault that we were parted, she being sick and weak-minded."

"About the middle of Dec., I started for Illinois where we had part of a crop of corn standing in the field ungathered [that] we raised the year before on father's home place. My two youngest sisters, Caroline and Barbey, kept house for us that winter of 1852. In the spring we broke up housekeeping and scattered. William went to Iowa where he now lives. I went to Dewitt Co., Ills., stayed the winter of 1852. In 1853 I went to Comanche, Iowa. I kept my child with me wherever I went. I hired Sara, William's wife, to take care of him. I paid her two dollars per week for same."

"I boarded at William's until in Dec. 22, 1854, I married Mary Ett Woolworth. She had one little boy; I had one. I had, when we were married, one 2.50 gold piece. She had one quilt, I had another, comprising our stack to start keeping house with. We went to work in earnest. She took in washing; I painted signs, fishing, hunting so had a comfortable [Page 87] living for that winter. I went out to Brophey Creek, distance about 9 miles; took up a swamp land claim; built a board shanty on it. In 1857, I traded my claim for a team and wagon, thus fitted myself up with a team and wagon."

"In the fall of 1857 I started for Council Bluffs, Iowa where I could get in touch with the LDS, there being a branch of the Church there. There I received my covenant and my wife Mary Ett joined the Church and our two little boys were baptized and confirmed--baptized by Elder Wiley B. Corbett, confirmed by William H. Folsom. I remained at Council Bluffs until the spring of 1859. I crossed the plains in Capt. Edward Stephenson's train. We arrived in Salt Lake Valley Sept. 7th of that year. We went out to Mill Creek, obtained quarters in an old adobe house. I went to the [canyon] with Winfield, got out our winter wood. Often I went over to Salt Lake and gathered up about 7500 lbs. of salt which was very scarce in the county owing to early fall rains. That fall I traded it at 5 cts per pound for all kinds of produce. Thus we passed the first winter in Utah."

"A span of mules and an old wagon was my wealth in the spring. I rented 10 acres of land of Heber C. Kimball in the spring of 1860. March 10th, I went with my wife Mary Ett and received our endowments in the endowment house and was sealed over the alter by Pres. B. Young for time and all eternity and received our Patriarchal blessings under the hands of Patriarch John Young August 28th, 1860."

"I was ordained a seventy in the 15th quorum by Chapman Duncan as mouth in Sept 1860. I remained on HC Kimball's place until the fall of 1860, sold out what little produce I had raised on a promise from my wife's father that he would let us have our 40 acres of land at ordinary prices. Would been quite a start. We returned in the fall to Council Bluffs, stayed there all winter. The war broke out in the spring so we could not sell anything. I returned to Salt Lake in the fall of 1861."

"In the spring of 1862 I rented Jack Hill's farm, got a crop in. In the last of April I was called by Pres. Brigham Young to go [Page 88] as physician to a co. of volunteers called for by President A. Lincoln to protect the overland mail and telegraph. I went as a 3 month volunteer, served 104 days, was mustered out Aug. 14, 1862 at Salt Lake."

"At the October Conference I was called and it was voted upon by the general conference to be a physician in Israel, was to go to Dixie to assist in building up St. George. I moved in the fall of 1862."

"In the spring of 1863, I returned to Salt Lake and had Isabelle Rasmussen sealed to me for time and all eternity, she receiving her endowments same day. She remained with me until in the spring of 1864 when she asked a divorce of me. President Young told me to grant her one which [I] did on the 19th of April 1864. I was released from that mission by Pres. Young in the fall following and told to settle in Cottonwood and practice my profession."

"I started a home. The grasshoppers came and destroyed all my crops in '66 and '67. In 1868 we took a contract to go to Echo Canyon to cook for Fost Houtz, and we received $5.00 per day for the summer, which helped us through the following winter. Flour was $10.00 for hundred, potatoes $3.00 per bushel, hay was $5O.00 per ton, all kinds of merchandise and groceries in proportion, tea $6.00 per pound."

"I am a little ahead of my history. In 1866, Hariet Perrin demanded of me in the presence of two witnesses to be sealed to me, saying she would eat her own and wear her own only to be called by my name. According to the teachings of the authorities and the council of Heber C. Kimball, I could not refuse her. I had her sealed accordingly. I don't know what became of her; she left here and went back to Iowa with a man by the name of Miller. I was informed she lived with him as a wife. She had two children when she came to this county and took them with her. She, by her falsehoods, got me into trouble with the ward authorities--did me all the dirt she could before she left. I acted as a ward teacher in the Big Cottonwood Ward for a number of years, farming and any other employment to make an honest living for my family--visiting the sick and treating them with such remedies as we had at that time, which was very limited and far between."

[Page 89] "On the 26th day of November, 1869, I went with Christina Peterson to the endowment house in Salt Lake City. She that day received her endowments and was sealed to me for time and all eternity by Joseph F. Smith. She, in the new and everlasting covenant, bore me five children-four girls and one boy. The two youngest and living: Rhoda Ann and Sarah.

"In 1868 and 9, the grasshoppers came and destroyed almost everything that was green. In the spring of 1869, we took a contract from Fost Houtz and Co. to go to Hanging Rock in Echo Canyon and cook for 50 men-was to receive five dollars per day for same, which assisted us through the following winter."

"In the fall of 1869, the R.R. came into Salt Lake City. In the spring of 1870, a mining district was organized in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I was elected the recorder and held that position for the first three years after its organization."

"The next year, I returned to my little farm raising what I could and practicing medicine as a livelihood. My wife Mary was stricken with a cancer of the uterus which took her life in Dec. 7th 1880. We buried her remains on Dec. 9 in the South Cottonwood Cemetery where they yet sleep."

"The Salt Lake Canal came through my home, split it in two. I had been 20 years making-spoiled for a future residence. In the spring of 1883, Winfield sold out and moved to Ashley Valley. In October following, I came out to see the country. I bought John M. Davis' claim-paid 300 dollars for it. I moved, arriving here Dec. 7th 1883, where I lived the first 9 years in Uintah County. I built the 4th school house in the county on my claim at my own expense in the fall of 1886. We had 10 terms of school in that little house. It was for meetings of all kinds, Sunday schools and election purposes. They split the district in 1891-left me without a school with two children of school age. In the fall of 1892, I left my ranch on Ashley and moved to Vernal that I might have the benefit of schools for my two daughters, a duty I owed them. Nothing happened out of the ordinary routine of the life of [Page 90] a physician for a no. of years. In 1894 I went back to Iowa where I formerly lived where I had not been since 1876. I also went back in 1897. Took in the Pioneer Jubilee of 1897 in Salt Lake City. Returned home the 3Oth day of July-resumed practice again."

"Commenced in 1897 to lay up money to do the vicarious work for my dead relatives who did not have the privilege of embracing the gospel under the new and everlasting covenant as revealed in this dispensation. On page 87 I referred to my ordination as a seventy in the 15th quorum. In the winter of 1865 and 6, the 73 quorum was organized, headquarters in South Cottonwood Ward with Jas. Winchester as Senior Priest. I was taken out of the 15th quorum and ordained second in the council. Was dropped by Winchester without a hearing and another man was put in my place the same day through the influences of Levi Stewart the first councilor to Bp. Brinton. This was done on Sunday. Following that Bishop Brinton and council, as they supposed, had cut me off the church that Saturday before because I would not acknowledge a falsehood that would disgrace my and mine throughout future generations. I asked Bp. Brinton for an appeal to the High Council. Saturday evening following their work I took it to the High Council. They voted me my standing by a unanimous vote. I was held at arms end for over a year before my place was given back to me, which I retained until 1883."

"I moved to Uintah County; I identified myself as a high private in the 97 quorum located here, which position I have retained ever since its organization with old Matt Caldwell at the head when it was organized. In September 1891, I was set apart to go east on a mission to gather genealogies of my ancestors. I went as far east as Columbus, Ohio, gathered up what I could get there, from thence to Springfield, stayed there one night, thence to Fremont where Winfield was born, thence to Terre Haute, thence to Lima to Chicago and back home. The cost of the above tri-$71.25 cts. I traveled 4999 miles in 13 days from Salt Lake City. I thereby laid a foundation that enabled me to gather about 800 names, mostly on my mother’s side, as relatives on my [Page 91] father’s, for some cause or other, they failed to keep proper family records, but I got quite no. of my mother’s grand fathers and mothers for six generations back. I obtained quite a no. of the names by correspondence during 1901."

"In June, 1902, I took my record scraps as I had them to Bro. D.M. McAlister, one of the temple clerks. I got him to arrange them to be baptized in their proper order. I succeeded in getting about 35O baptisms performed with 320 endowed and sealed on Nov. 11, 1902. 64 males and 64 females were endowed on Nov. 24. 72 males and 92 females were endowed on June 19, 1902. Paid cash for temple work, 20 dollars. On October 30, ten more. On November 8, I remitted a bank draft for $100.00 dollars. On Nov. 24, I sent another bank draft for 100.00 dollars. A short time since I sent a bank draft of $35.00 to finish up the work. When I was in Salt Lake in June, I engaged a temple suit for myself and one for my wife for which I paid $7.50 cts per suit to be sent to me when the temple work is all completed. The suits I reserved on the 1Oth of June 1903 [were] all right when we went to complete the work commenced before on the 27th day of May 1903. We left home at Vernal with my wife Christina, my son Winfield S. and my daughter Rhoda Ann Lee with her two children and went to Salt Lake to finish my unfinished temple work. On the 5th day of June 1903, we received the higher ordinances in the temple for myself, my wife Christina, and my dead wife Mary Ett who died Dec. 7th 1880, Christina proxy for her. Also to have Winfield S.'s mother endowed and sealed to me also died outside of the church. Also Winfield S. (Winfield was born in Tremont, Ohio) and his infant sister who was born in Terre Haute, Champaign Co., Ohio Oct. 1852, died Nov. 29 1852, was both of them sealed over the alter to their mother Julian who died at Westville Champaign Co., Ohio, Nov. 20, 1868, aged 47 years and to myself, their father, with my wife Christina as proxy for Julian--was baptized in the temple font June 9th. On June 10th 1903, [Page 92] was endowed and received the higher ordinances for her also. I was the same day sealed over the alter to my father and mother with Winfield S. as proxy for father and Christina my wife as proxy for my mother, thus welding the last link between 320 of my kindred who died without knowledge of the gospel as revealed to the Prophet Jos. Smith in this the dispensation of the fullness of times."

"I also had the work done in the temple for Winfield S.'s grandfather, John Bloce, and his grandmother, Amelia Pence Bloce, also his uncle Daniel Bloce and his wife Susanah Keplinger Bloce--all of them died near Westville, Champaign Co., Ohio. The work was done in Winfield S.'s name. I also had Adelbert's grandfather Joshua Woolworth's and his wife Philecty Mosley Woolworth's work done in the temple, in my name as a son-in-law, and also my wife Christina's father Sauren Petersen, and his wife Merin Jensen Petersen, also in my name as a son-in-law, as I thought that was the proper thing to do, as they had no direct kin to stand for them. Since, (in 1905) I have had my brother John Dudley's and Sarah Basten Church Hullinger his wife's work done for them in the temple. J.D. died Sept. 7, 1904. His wife, Sarah, died in 1879. My last sister, Caroline [Telpina?], died the 23rd day of Feb. 1906 and was buried in the Vermillionville, LaSalle Co., Ills. cemetery where my father, mother, and two other sisters were buried. On the 3rd day of June 1906, I was ordained a high priest at the Vernal Ward House by Pres. Lynn Hyrum and George Albert Smith, of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, President Lynn being mouth. As my certificate of ordination by President Francis M. Lyman is attached to the front part of my temple record of the Hullinger and Coe family."

"On the 15th day of June 1906, my wife Christina started and blooded to death. She awoke me up at 1 o'clock a.m., called for a drink of water. I got up and gave it to her. She went to sleep again. At 3 o'clock a.m., she called me, told me to call Sarah which I did. I struck a light, we went to her bed and found her in a faint and spasms from the loss of blood. We succeeded in reviving her again but she never [Page 93] regained her former state of health and strength again but got so she could move around a little. About the last of October, she took to her bed--laid until the 11th of November 1906, when she departed this life at 15 minutes to 6 p.m. I purchased pure linen, had an entire new temple suit made in which she was lain away on the 14th Nov. 1906 in the Vernal Cemetery. She died as she lived--a Latter-day Saint. She prayed that she might go to sleep and not suffer the pains of death. Her prayer was answered. Her spirit left her body without a struggle. In her departure, I lost the society of a loving, kind wife--true to her every trust in every condition, that helps to make this life a blessing. The hymn that was sung first, "A Resurrection Day"; 2nd, "Oh My Father"; addresses by Patriarch Nelson Merkly and Patriarch S.R. Bennion and Pres. Harden Benion; closing song, "Peace In Heaven". Her grave was dedicated by Bishop John N. Davis. May your rest be as sweet as your life has been pure until we meet again in Eternal bliss. She helped me to release from their prison in the Temple of God our ancestors who had not the privilege to hear and embrace the new and everlasting covenant revealed in this dispensation. She embraced the celestial order of marriage and lived it a pure intention and filled her covenants made in her pre-existing state that if permitted to come to this earth, she would be sealed to a man holding the holy priesthood of God, and bear children legitimate heirs to the same, that will ultimately become stars in her celestial crown. She bore four daughters and one son. Three of them preceded her back home. She faced the [snares] and trials pertaining to that order with a determination to be bestowed in the presence of God our Eternal Father where our mother Eve stood before the fall, knowing that was the only principle and way whereby she could accomplish it. She not only did the work for herself, she did the work for Julia Ann my first, and Mary Ett my second wife, in the temple. They could not do for themselves, she thereby elevated them in the highest order of the holy priesthood with herself in the Celestial Kingdom of God, making access of Heaven all three of you. What a heavenly greeting when you all meet [Page 94] and to meet those that left us in infancy and also our ancestors set free. You all can now progress upward through the endless ages of Eternity. She may well rejoice that she kept the faith while here. Her spirit went out to the oppressed and distressed that surrounded her, always having something to impart for their comfort. Her home was her heaven, always ready to receive our friends and relatives, place the best before them, welcoming them as if they were her own blood relatives. She was both girl and woman, remained so to the end--perfectly true, perfectly honest, perfectly candid. Though her body was frail, she was heroic in her makeup--it remained with her to the last while here. If she sinned, she suffered for it, so all debts were paid. She entered her next state of existence with nothing standing between her eternal exaltation, with the righteous of all ages and generations. She wore to her resting place the robes of the holy priesthood, the emblems of purity, and the righteousness of saints to remain there until called up in the first resurrection, which was sealed upon her by the holy priesthood of God in his temple, that she should inherit, in connection with her husband, thrones, principalities, powers, heights, and depths, and an eternal increase of which there will be no end. Her short stay here has not been in vain."

"I have also had the work done in the temple for my brother-in-law, James Holman, who married my sister Caroline, who died in 1906, as my official temple record shows. I am now engaged in trying to obtain genealogies of my wife Christina's parents, that I may have their work done in the temple. Whether I succeed or not I will make a note in this book as well as my temple record to hand down to my posterity."

In 1908, I received an addition to my former Coe family record of 313 names. On the 8th day of October 1908, I took them to the temple and employed a brother to place them in my record to have the ordinances performed for them for their release from prison and to start them in their Eternal progress. I paid Brother A. Ramseyer 20 dollars to arrange them in their proper older in my temple record. I also left 25 dollars with Bro. Joseph Christensen to pay for my proxies to do the work and go through [for] them."

[Page 95] "On the 9th day of December, 1908, I drew another P.O. money order for 30 dollars and sent it to Bro. Joseph Christensen to extend the work. He stated that all their baptisms was performed on Feb. 3, 1909. I drew an order for $26.75 to finish up and complete the endowments and sealings of the eligible cases amounting to 69 males and 68 females. On the 1Oth of Jan. 1909, I received another record from [...] sons of Albany, NY, containing another branch of the Coe, Ward, and Miller family, which cost me $10.00, containing the intermarriages of these three families and other names amounting to 1347 names, a share of them distantly connected with the Coe family by early marriage."

"On June 23, I drew and sent to D.M. McAlister a money order for 20 dollars to commence the work on my 3rd record. On the 23rd day of May 1909, I went to Salt Lake temple and completed the sealings of 45 couples. [In the margin: "This line should before the last two"] On the 25, I was sealed as proxy over the alter for 11 couples; on the 26, for 14 couples; that completed all the names that was not sealed in the second record. The 3rd record adds 56 males and 53 females work has to be done for--will amount to 68.50 dollars and 75 cts. for Book binder. On the 18th day of Dec. 1909, I drew a P.O. money order, sent $50, sent to finish up the 3rd record. That will complete the work [for] 585 of my ancestors and blood relatives. On the first day of Feb. 1910, I sent a P.O. money order to A.A. Ramseyer for $5 to pay him for his services as my temple recorder. On the 10th day of March, I sent $6.25 to Bro. Ramseyer to complete 7 more women's work that was found eligible. Also Bro. Martin H. and his wife Nackie, and Ambrose Hullinger's wife Susan Anderson Hullinger to be endowed and sealed. On the 23rd day of March 1912, I purchased a ticket to go to Salt Lake (paid for the same $16.75), having received a notice to come in to complete the sealings of 45 couples. That finished the record up to the last. I started, was delayed 7 hours at work, arrived in Salt Lake early in the morning. I went up [to have] breakfast, went to the [sanctuary], took a bath, changed my clothes, went direct to the temple, commenced at once [...] I had Sister Sharp to act as proxy [until] eleven."

"In the afternoon, a sister Jourys [Page 96] act as proxy in the afternoon. We finished up the 45 couples that remained undone. The six names of females that had not been sealed to any one that was endowed. Some six years previous, I obtained the permission from Pres. Lund to have one of them sealed to my father. I had, by permission, the other five sealed to myself. That was to complete my first record of the Coe family. Conditionally, if it did not suit them, I would willingly release them in Eternity to choose for themselves. My only desire was that they should not be neglected and left without being provided for in Eternity where they are helpless. By doing what I have done for them releases them from prison, and starting them in an Eternal progress with the rest of my departed relatives."

"On June 8th, 1911, I remitted 6.00 to pay for another Coe genealogy containing over 12,000 names of males and females. I, in July 1911, received the book. It goes back to 1390 that is the Coe family history. It contains 659 pages. I received on the temple record book 3 [...]. It cost 2.25 for the book and 50 cts postage. That book I ordered in Nov. 1911 but did not receive it until in January."

"I commenced copying the names from the "Coe" genealogy record into my temple record, preparatory for baptisms for my dead blood relatives, as that has to be done before any temple work can be done. The names must first be recorded in your record. They are copied from it onto rolls or prepared slips. The baptisms are first performed and noted thereon. After they are endowed and sealed, they are recorded first on the temple record. Then they are copied in your temple record. These slips are preserved and given to you with the return of your record. The work done in the temple is recorded in the right half of the page. I have filled my record commencing the year 1340 with John Coo, my 14th great grand ancestor, completing it down [through] 14 generations, making 2736 names in the last one--that is book "B"."

"In Book "A" there is recorded 1172 names that work has been done. My relationship to each one is given not [...] to me, also the [...] that they had in their father's family is retained when they marry. The maiden name of the woman is given. When they are sealed their temple names become that of their husbands, to all eternity."

"I received a letter last week from Bro. Ramseyer last week of the Salt Lake Temple that I could get some more work done for my ancestors. I commenced copying from my record with John Coo, who was the oldest relative of my mother. He was born about 1365. I copied in type. There was 81 families from him down to Robert Coe, the ancestor of the family in America. He came [Page 97] to America in the year 1625. When the work is completed that I mailed today, March 31, 1913, it will contain my line of descent from John Coo, as his name was spelt then, down to my father's family, which will be 16 generations. It affords me great pleasure to know that I have been the medium in the release of so many of my ancestors from their prison that never heard the gospel as revealed in this dispensation. That they cannot be saved without us nor can we be saved without them. It is a glorious work to be engaged in. To become a savior on Mt. Zion in the last days is certainly filling a noble and grand calling and requirement which is destined to place our ancestors at liberty and free them from the fall of father Adam."

"In June 1913, I received a notice that I could get work done in the Manti temple. Bro. Ramseyer sent two sheets of names to be worked for. There was 20 couples work done, for which I remitted 15.00 to Pres. Louis Anderson to pay for the same. On the 11th day of July, 1913, another set of 21 men and 20 women's names were sent to Manti to have their work done in the temple. On the 14, I sent a check for $25.75 to pay for the work. I also drew a check to Bro. Ramseyer for 5.00 to pay him for arranging the same that their work could be done. This check is the 2nd one, and the 1st was for $83.15."

"On the 5th of Nov. 1913, I remitted a P.O. check to A.A. Ramseyer for $10.00. I, on the 2Oth 1913, sent 23.00 to Frederick Fouls, the recorder of the Logan temple, to do the work for 16 men and 20 women, as the Manti Temple could not do any for me at the present. On the 25th Nov. 1913, Bro. Shiles notified me that the work had been done for 36 names that was sent to him, and the sheets was returned to Bro. Ramseyer. Received receipt for the 22.00 from Pres. Shiles. On the 1Oth of Dec., I sent a check for 1.50 to Bro. Ramseyer to pay for three more females that have been named. On Dec. 17, 1913, I remitted a check to Fred Shiles for 19 males, $14.15. On the 22nd, I received notice from A.A.R. that he had completed the record down to Robert Coe. There are 47 males and 54 females, their work to be done to complete it. On the 30th of Dec. 1918, I remitted a bank draft for $65.00 to complete the same--$62.25 for work, the balance a temple donation, for 21 males and females, polygamy to Zuskeriah Coe and Ebinezar Coe. That was marked for in my first lot the parent but their [...]could not rest until it was completed. I sent the list to A.A. Ramseyer. It will cost $28.50 to complete."

[Page 98] "I found another lot of 18 males and 19 female children--their work not done--will make 1547 that is marked for. On the 25th March 1914, I received another batch of Temple slips of work that was done and remitted $5.00 to Bro. Ramseyer to pay him for his work done for me as temple recorder. On the 2nd day of April 1914, I received another letter from Bro. Ramseyer with some more sheets of sealings of husbands and wives. Also 13 more males and 7 more females that had been missed in the foregoing that their work had not been done. When done, cost $13.25. I drew a check for $15.OO, $1.75 as a temple donation, and mailed it today to Bro. Ramseyer. On 4/7/14, I received 3 more sheets that had been worked for and also a notice of another list of 16 males and 19 females that are ready for their work. Will require $21.50. I, by request of Bro. Ramseyer, remitted a check for $23.00 to be sent to F. Sholes with slip for the endowment of the above 35 names, $1.50 was a temple donation of the 23 dollars. I received a letter from Bro. Sholes dated 6/9/14 stating he had received the 23 dollars and had completed the endowment of the above. On 7-28-14, I sent $1.00 to Bro. Ramseyer to return my printed record and my temple records that I could compare and count the times where the [names] were left blank or their work was not done at the time. He returned the book; I corrected Book A as to dates of death. I also completed, made out another list of names of children whose parents work had not been done, caused by imperfect genealogies of their families. On the 17th of Aug., I returned to Bro. Ramseyer my printed record and Book A and Book B, by parcel post, that in the future work there might not be any more mistakes. He returned them to me. I since returned to him Book B and printed record, also about 28 heads of families branching out from my direct line. I remitted a check to him for $5.00 to pay for some that was missed and his pay. On the 11/25/14, received four more sheets that had been baptized to send to Logan for endowment containing 25 males and 23 females, requiring a check of $31.00. 11/28/14: I today furnished a certified check for $31.00 to Fredrick Sholes to complete the endowments of the 48 names afore, also sent the 4 sheets of names with the above. 2/4/15: I received the above sheets from A.A. Ramseyer, their work completed and recorded in the temple records, with a statement that Bro. R. had another lot ready for baptism. He stated in his note that he had been so busy doing work for some others but said he had not forgotten mine. On 2/26/15, I received another list to [from F.] Sholes with certified check, which I sent today 2/27/15. There was 26 males and 24 females. On 4/22/15, I received a letter from Bro. Ramseyer that he had [Page 99] finished the work I had mapped out for him from my printed record. All have been baptized and a few [remain] to be endowed and a few sheets for sealings. 4/23/15: I sent him a check for $5.00. On 8/24/15, I forwarded to Bro. Sholes another set of names that had been all baptized (vis.) 48 men and 45 women for endowment. I remitted a certified check for 37 dollars, one for temple donation, and remitted check for $25.00 for 25 names women endowments. I, in 10/ /15, sent the names of my great grandfather Christian Hullinger and Mrs. Christian and his son George, my great uncle, and his wife's names. They were endowed and sealed Oct 28/15 in Salt Lake. I have started again to have another lot of names made out for their work. On the 26/11/15, I received a letter from A.A. Ramseyer that he had made out another list of 40 males and 40 females--had all been baptized, would soon be ready for endowments. I today remitted him a check for 5.00. Today, 1/22/16, I received a letter from Bro. Ramseyer that he had baptized names for 35 males and 34 females, and that he had sent them to Bro. Sholes at the Logan temple to be endowed. I sent a certified check for $44.OO, 1.75 of that amount was a temple donation. I sent Bro. Ramseyer a P.O. check for $5.OO. I, on 6/6/16, received notice that Bro. Ramseyer had made out two more sheets of males of 32[,] 2 sheets of women 36, in all 68. I sent today to Bro. Sholes a certified check for $43.00, one dollar a Temple donation. I received the temple blanks--all of the above was completed. 7/21/16: I received a letter from Bro. Ramseyer that another set that had been made out for baptisms and sent to Logan. I sent today to Bro. Ramseyer $5.00 to pay for work. 8/18/16: I remitted to Bro. Ramseyer another P.O. for $5.00 to pay for work. I received a letter today from Bro. R. stating that he had completed more work. I today remitted another $5.OO check."

"Today I received a letter from F. Sholes that the 107 sheet was baptized (that is 8-22-16). He was ready to […] this week. I today remitted him a cashier's check for $60.00 by registered mail […] to Fredrick Sholes, a check for $10.75 and $1.25 as a temple donation. […] paid for temple work up to date 9/10/16. On 9-18-16 I received a letter from Bro. Sholes [Page 100] that he had received the last check and that the endowments for the last 107 names was completed and returned to Bro. Ramseyer to prepare them for their sealings. Bro. Ramseyer returned to me two lots of sealings of the above. He also stated that I owed him 2.50. I, on the 12/8/16, sent 50 ct. to assist him in paying postage, as that required in time quite a little sum. I also learned that he had sent me 7 men’s and 7 women’s names for endowment. I today remitted a P.O. check to F. Sholes today for 8.75. 12/13/16: before I could have the sealings attended to complete the 1916 work (end 1916), I received the above sheets completed 1/11/17 completing my 1916 work in the temple for 246 of my ancestors. I today received a letter from Bro. Ramseyer that he had filled 6 pages of my record book "B" and sheets for baptism of about 100. I sent him a check for $15.00. 2/1/17: received a letter from A.A. Ramseyer that he had received the $5 and 5 sheets of work ready for endowments, 52 males and 38 females--required $58.00 to do this work. On the 3rd, I forwarded the sheets with a certified check to F. Sholes for 58 dollars. One thing I forgot to send a temple donation therewith. On 4/5-17, I remitted to A.A. Ramseyer a P.O. check for $5.00 as I received a letter from him that I owed him. I received a letter from Bro. Ramseyer that he had sent 25 males and 23 females to Logan Temple for endowment. I sent a certified to Bro. Sholes for $35.00. I after received a note from Bro. Ramseyer that he had found 5 more males that required $3.75 more. On 9/20/17, I received a letter from Bro. "R" that he had sent 2 sheets of 36 males to Logan to be endowed. They were done the next day and sheets returned to Bro. "R" with a request that I send him $27.00. I remitted the next day a certified check for the same. On 10/8-17, I received a letter from Bro. "R" that he had sent 40 female names to Logan that would be done this week. On the 11th, I drew a certified check for $20.00--sent Bro. Sholes to cover the expense of the same. On 11/30/17, I requested Bro. "R" to return to me by P.O. my records, as I wanted to see them as I had […] them from 1911. On the same date, I remitted Bro. "R" a P.O. check for [$3.75] as that was the amount that I owed him for his work. On 12/21/17, I received a letter that 2 more sheets of males and 2 females were ready for endowments, some to be sent to the Logan as soon as the temple was reopened."

[Page 101] "On 12/24/17, I received my records. I was well pleased with the same. I also received a letter from Bro. "R" stating that I owed him $1.00. On 12/26/17, I sent him the dollar. Recently, I sent Bro. "R" the names of my brother William and his son James C. to have their work done. I received a letter from him that it was done, and he had paid $1.50 for the same. I, on the 2/25/17, remitted a check with a lot of sheets to him that had been baptized, ready for endowment. On 2/12/18, I sent a check to Bro. Sholes for 43.25 for the endowment of 35 males and 34 females. I received the sheets from Bro. "R". On the 4/16/18, received the sheets, the endowments completed. I, on the 4/6/18, drew a P.O. check, sent it to Bro. "R" for the endowment of A.D. Hullinger. He was endowed Apr. 10, 1918 at S.L. I also received the sheet of his work being done. I, on 4/27/18, received sheets of the sealing of 20 husbands and wives and the sealing of 41 children to their parents. $119.00 for their work on 6/5/18. I figured up the cost of my temple work to date in arranging and recording my work. I paid for temple work $1311.25 cts., not counting my traveling expenses, making in all $1430.25 cts. On the 18/19/18, I received a letter from A.A. Ramseyer that he had completed 2 sheets of males for endowment and had sent them to Bro. Sholes for [them] to be endowed in the Logan Temple. I sent 30 dollars to him today, 21/9/18, to pay for the work. I also sent today 24.50 to Bro. Ramseyer to do the work for 49 females--work to be done in the Salt Lake Temple."

"An epidemic of influenza broke out in Nov. 19/18 that paralyzed temple work and all kinds of meetings, district schools, Sunday Schools too. The distrustful "Mur" is supposed to be closed. The U.S. had, at the close, 1,390 men in France at the close of hostilities, Nov. 19, 1918--Utah had 2400 men in it with a death of 482 of the sum total of U.S. 240,197 deaths. On the 3/21/19, I received the temple sheets of the last 40 males that I sent to Logan to be endowed, but have not yet received the sealings of husbands to wives of that lot. On 4/5/19, I received a letter from Bro. "R" with 2 sheets of sealings of husbands to wives. Also, a notice that the Coe family record was worked up to a time that we can't […]."

[Page 102] "I received my records all right with 2 sheets of sealing of husbands and wives and recorded them in Book "B". I also received notice that I owed Bro. Ramseyer one dollar. I today (Apr 24) remitted same to him in a letter. This closes the work for the Coe Family, as we have arrived at a time we can't detect the living from the dead. And start in a line of the Hollingers as we were all the same family in Germany. The only differences is in spelling our name O and U. The Pioneer settlers in Pennsylvania in the early part of the 17th century, Christian Hullinger (1st) Daniel (2nd) John (3rd) Harvey Coe (4th) Winfield S. (5th). 35 […] 18/8/19: I wrote a letter to Bro. Sholes of the Logan Temple to see if I could get a line of work done for the Hollingers as I am convinced that we are originally one and the same family. The only difference is the O and U in the spelling of the name."

"On 5/1/21, I figured up my cost for Temple work. Traveling expenses and […] Temple work alone was $1311.25 alone, traveling expenses $341.00, making $1652.25."

"In the first of 12/15/21, I wrote to Bro. Lylest. I sent him 8 sheets of names of the Hollingers, trust of the family, to start the work in the Logan Temple. I sent a cashier's check for $25.00 and sent. He deserted me. He turned my work over to the recorder and there it drifted after agreeing to do all complete for $1.25 per couple. I instructed him that I wanted 20 couples work done by mouth. He agreed to have the first baptisms performed Dec. 11,1920, but failed. Sister Lylest did the work from sheet No. 1 and 3 females was all that was done. The sheets were returned to me. That break has […] me out of 6 [months] temple work. I sent the sheets back to sister Bain to have them put into family groups that I could list them in my record. All the sheets were returned but one. The recorder of the Logan Temple kept that one. That positively disorganized my temple work. The 46 females that was endowed in the Logan Temple I will put into type and file them in my temple records that when the time come to do their work they won't be duplicated. All the 8 sheets of names of men that were baptized in the Logan Temple and endowed are in the back part of Book "A"."

[Page 103] "I, on 12/18/22, sent to Brother Ramseyer the names of Charles Sumner Hullinger to be endowed and sealed to his father and his infant sister Faning Mary--also Delinda Mariah Hullinger, Br. Martin's oldest daughter, and Rosella, an infant, and John Roscoe, another infant to be sealed, to their parents Joseph Warren to be endowed and sealed to his parents. I sent 4 dollars to Bro. Ramseyer."

Dr. Harvey Coe Hullinger died January 29, 1926 at the age of 101.

No comments:

Post a Comment